Deputy Team Leader (Technical) – Abuja, Nigeria
Nigeria Policing Programme (NPP)
- We are recruiting a technical leader who will be responsible for ensuring that the programmes’ interventions are scoped, designed planned and implemented in accordance with our broad objectives, with specific responsibility for directly scoping and designing the internal and external accountability components.
- The project is scheduled to run until 31 March 2019.
- Abuja, Nigeria, but expected to conduct inter-state travel, including to Lagos, Kano, Enugu and Maiduguri.
Nigeria Policing Programme (NPP) is a £8.25 million programme funded by the British Government (HMG) through its Conflict, Security and Stabilisation Fund (CSSF). It is the second component of the wider Security Justice Reform Programme (SJRP). At present the contract runs until 31 March 2019.
The programmes aim is to improve the delivery of the safety and security by the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) in target states, and strengthen internal and external accountability mechanisms in support of this. NPP is a national programme that will target its work in selected localities where the political imperative for improved NPF delivery is high. We are working to improve the effectiveness of policing service provision, policing accountability and coherence and coordination across security actors and government bodies at the Federal level and State and Local level in the target States of Borno, Kano, Lagos, and Enugu.
The Deputy Team Leader (Technical) role is one third of the NPP in-country senior management team. Working closely with the Team Leader, and the Deputy Team Leader (Planning and Operations), they will be responsible for the effective delivery of the programme, ensuring that interventions and activities are delivered on time and to the requisite quality in accordance with client requirements, statutory procedures, and Coffey processes. They will also lead the programmes’ internal and external accountability interventions, working in close partnership with other NPP team members and short-term technical expertise.
They will be responsible for ensuring that the programmes’ interventions are scoped, designed planned and implemented in accordance with our broad objectives, with specific responsibility for directly scoping and designing the internal and external accountability components. They will ensure that the NPP policing manager and state level representatives operates effectively, and that their assignments are implemented on time and to budget, with deliverables and reporting meeting client expectations. They will also need to engage with the programmes’ Monitoring, Evaluating and Learning (MEL) workstream, and adapt approaches in line with evidence generated. The post holder will work closely with the rest of the senior management team to ensure that the problem driven, adaptive learning approach envisaged for the NPP programme is realised and implemented effectively.
The Deputy Team Leader (Technical)’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Scoping, designing, planning and delivering multi-disciplinary interventions in pursuit of the NPPs internal and external accountability objectives, with the NPM, MELM and DTL P&O, under direction of TL. These will include, but not be limited to: demand side accountability for election security; local level record keeping; and a series of workstreams with the Bureau of Public Sector Reform;
- Effectively managing key relationships with delivery partners and FGN, State and Local stakeholders whilst navigating the political economy of the situation and remaining focused on the objectives of the programme;
- Facilitating workshops, meetings and for multiple purposes including problem identification, developing collaborative solutions and supporting key accountability stakeholders to engage in programme supported activities;
- Ensuring a permissive relationship with the NPP key internal and external accountability stakeholders such as BPSR, PSC, NHRC, MoI, PC, PCRRU, PCB and the Provost Department, including buy-in for, documented authorisation of, and continued engagement with NPPs work;
- Facilitating and strengthening horizontal and vertical linkages between NPP stakeholders in support of programme delivery at Federal, State and Local level on issues relating to accountability, service delivery and coherence;
- Working closely with the British Council funded EUDF programme to ensure complementarity between our work and theirs regarding the implementation of the ACJA/L;
- Oversee demand side engagement with civil society groups, and be proactive in identifying other areas for demand side engagement for the programme;
- Designing, delivering and/or managing capacity building activities/workstreams, including management of mentoring resources against a work plan, including Short Term Technical Assistance inputs
- Management of activities and where appropriate whole interventions;
- Designing, commissioning and management of sub-contracted discrete inputs or longer-term delivery partners;
- Providing clear direction and maximising coherence between the workstreams of the Policing Manager, the MEL manager and the activities of the State level intervention leads.
They will work closely with the DTL (Planning and Operations) to:
- Actively contribute to and being responsible for monitoring, evaluation and learning of activities, interventions and the wider programme;
- Provide technical contributions to internal management discussions on adapting programme strategies and associated activities to optimise results. These will include, but not be limited to, updating the programme Theory of Change, Logframe, Intervention Strategies and Political Engagement Strategies and associated workplans.
- Identify and commission targeted research that will support evidence led and politically informed programming. These will include, but not be limited to, baseline studies, mid-term and end-term evaluations, perception studies, and data validation processes.
- Contribute to the production of high quality reports for multiple audiences, including but not limited to monthly activity based reporting, quarterly reports and milestone delivery reporting;
- Ensure that all interventions reflect cross cutting themes and provide cross cutting monitoring data on gender, conflict sensitivity, human rights, coherence and coordination.
They will work closely with the rest of the NPP senior management team to:
- Develop and maintain a coherent weekly, monthly and quarterly management schedule that provides clear and consistent direction to the personnel working on the programme
- Ensure effective political engagement with the client and the beneficiaries of the programme
- Ensure that the programme is delivered in accordance with the programme workplan and budget
- Lead and motivate the NPP programme team, and specifically to provide clear and consistent direction and performance management to those staff for whom he/she has direct line management responsibility (see below for list)
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader (Planning & Operations) or the Programme Director.
The Deputy Team Leader (Technical) will represent NPP and Coffey with integrity and professionalism throughout the duration of this assignment, and will comply with Coffey and NPP management practices, operating procedures and expected norms and behaviours.
The chosen candidate will be able to fulfil the following responsibilities above.
He/she will have experience managing and delivering security and police interventions in Nigeria, as well as a strong understanding of federal, state and local stakeholders.
He/she will have experience of UK-funded donor programme.
How to Apply
Please apply online submitting a CV demonstrating relevant experience and skills.
Applications close: 20th August 2017.
Coffey has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK’s Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives.
NPP DTL (Technical) ToR FINAL.docm