Job no: 495743
Work type: Contract
Categories: International development
- Coffey is looking for a Team Leader for a DFID-funded off-grid renewable energy programme in Africa
- 4 years
- Nairobi, Kenya
The Africa Clean Energy programme (ACE) is a 4 year DFID-funded programme that aims to improve energy access for people and communities in sub-Saharan Africa currently without energy. It will do so by catalysing a market-based approach for private sector delivery of quality solar home system (SHS) products and services through a Technical Assistance Facility. In line with the Energy Africa Initiative and related Energy Africa Compacts, ACE will focus on 14 target countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. It will work closely with other donors and programmes, including the IFC’s Lighting Africa and Lighting Global programmes.
The Team Leader will be responsible for overall programme leadership, providing strategic vision, driving delivery, and offering guidance on the design and implementation of technical activities. He/she will supervise the delivery of ACE across the 14 target countries, overseeing an international team of consultants.
The Team Leader will engage regularly with key stakeholders including in DFID, national governments, the private sector and energy associations. He/she will be responsible for securing wide buy-in from these individuals and partners for programme interventions. The Team Leader will also be responsible for coordinating with other donors and programmes across Africa to encourage collaboration and maximise the impact of our work.
- An advanced university degree (or equivalent) in the fields of economics, public policy, business administration, energy or other relevant.
- 20+ years of experience in the fields of renewable energy, private sector development, business enabling environment, with demonstrated results and impact
- 10+ years of experience of successfully managing multi-disciplinary technical and operational teams in challenging contexts
- Track record of delivering large multi-country donor-funded programmes (preferably DFID) in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Extensive experience in the field of renewable energy, with a focus on off-grid energy and regulatory markets
- Demonstrated track record of successfully liaising with high-level government officials and the private sector on policy reform to deliver reform in similar environments
- Deep understanding of business enabling environment challenges and policy issues relating to the renewable energy sector (off-grid), and knowledge of how to deliver inclusive reforms
- Fluent in English, with strong facilitation and communications skills, experience in contracting services and ensuring effective delivery of technical assistance.
- Work experience in at least three ACE countries
- Familiarity with the DFID Energy Africa Compacts.
- Experience leading Facility-type and demand-driven programmes, with a flexible, responsive and problem-solving approach to programme delivery
- Understanding of monitoring and evaluation frameworks in donor funded programming and experience capturing and acting upon programme learning.
- Experience designing programmes in which gender sensitivity and social inclusion are mainstreamed priorities that inform decision making.
Applications close: 21 December 2017
Coffey has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK’s Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives.
Advertised: E. Africa Standard Time
Applications close: E. Africa Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now