Coffey, a Tetra Tech Company, is looking for a Business Development Manager to join our international development team in London. We are seeking entrepreneurial candidates with solid proposal writing and management experience, excellent communication skills and a problem-solving mind-set.
The Business Development Manager works closely with Coffey and Tetra Tech’s technical teams to develop innovative and effective proposals for projects that will deliver results and value for money to our clients.
Reporting to the Head of Business Development, this role is central to the success of our business development cycle, steering proposal teams from identification of opportunities through to the submission of winning proposals.
Working with others in the Business Development team, the successful applicant will drive the production of high quality work, be it a strategic proposal or a briefing note to our in-country teams.
The role is based in London with travel to project and client locations as required.
Coffey are experts in designing, delivering, monitoring and evaluating complex projects in regions faced with complex challenges. Our clients in the public and private sector call on Coffey to help find sustainable solutions to international development challenges.
Together with our parent company Tetra Tech, our service areas include governance, security and justice; economic growth and private sector development; education; energy; environment and natural resources; land tenure and property rights; water supply and sanitation; resilient cities; and equitable digital access.
Our approach is based on sound science, stakeholder engagement, capacity building, and innovative technologies and best practices. Our goal on every project is to ensure local ownership and sustainable development long after our work is complete. Our expertise includes monitoring and evaluation tools, adaptive management approaches, grants management systems, compliance systems, and public-private partnerships.
About the role
- Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Successful delivery of business development activities from opportunity identification to proposal submission.
- Leading the pursuit process and production of proposals, capability statements, expressions of interest; ensuring documents are produced within deadlines, client specifications and to professional standards.
- Capturing timely opportunity intelligence and follow-up.
- Conducting reviews and collating feedback, ensuring lessons learnt are appropriately disseminated and acted on.
- Commercial oversight of proposals including writing winning commercial and value for money proposals and working together with the costing specialist to respond to commercial requirements.
- Identification, relationship building and contractual management of partners and consultants.
- Maintaining and strengthening business development systems and procedures, including capacity building of colleagues across the business.
- Building strong relationships external stakeholders, including clients, partners and consultants; attending briefing sessions to enhance knowledge sharing and engagement.
- Building strong relationships with internal stakeholders including pursuit teams, in-country teams and technical specialists across the Tetra Tech and Coffey operating units.
- Representing Coffey and Tetra Tech in external events in the UK and elsewhere.
- The successful applicant will have:
- An entrepreneurial nature and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- An interest in addressing the social, political, environmental and economic challenges around the world, complimented by an interest in sales and bidding.
- Strong proposal/project/sales pipeline management skills. An accreditation in proposal development best practice (Shipley or equivalent) will be an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship-building and negotiation skills.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience and a degree in a relevant subject.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to create compelling and concise narratives for a range of audiences using Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a complex, demand driven environment.
- Prior experience working with international development donors, especially DFID and the FCO, is an advantage.
Please note: No CV's will be accepted by Recruitment Agencies.
Applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK to apply for this position. Occasional travel will be required.