Job no: 497301
Work type: Contract
Categories: International development
- Opportunity for a specialist in implementing inclusive education strategies
- Initial contract for a period of 12 months with short term periodic inputs up to a total of 120 days. Option to extend
- Inputs based in Suva, Fiji
The Australian Government has established the Fiji Program Support Facility (the Facility) to implement its education, health and scholarship aid programs in Fiji and its scholarship and education programs in Tuvalu. The Facility will also support the delivery of Australia’s emergency response efforts following natural disasters, and governance sector support when requested by the Fiji Government.
Australia’s Support to Fiji’s Education Sector is a key component of the Facility. The focus of the support to the Ministry of Education Heritage and Arts (MEHA) is on systems strengthening in particular in literacy and numeracy, inclusive education, Fiji Education Management Information System (FEMIS), and teacher preparation and development.
The Disability Inclusion Specialist - Education will work closely with the Special and Inclusive Education Unit in MEHA and build on previous successes under the predecessor program of education support. This position will provide a high level of specialist expertise to MEHA to institutionalise inclusive education best practice at central, district and school levels. Key responsibilities will include:
- Developing and overseeing implementation of a Disability Inclusion Strategy for Australia’s Support to Fiji’s Education Sector, including working with the GESI Coordiator;
- Supporting monitoring and evaluation of the Education Program’s disability inclusion efforts; including review and strengthening of the disability disaggregation module within FEMIS
- Providing quality strategic advice to MEHA on the effective implementation of the Special and Inclusive Education Policy Implementation Plan 2017 – 2020;
- Supporting the design and implementation of capacity development resources and activities for local special education stakeholders to enhance their disability inclusion approaches.
Position Description Disability Inclusion Specialist Final Aug 2018.docx
The ideal candidate will have qualifications in education and special education at post-graduate level; with thorough knowledge of the special learning needs of students and appropriate pedagogy and programs for students with different types of disabilities. Hands-on and practical experience in special education is required including in teaching, administration and research. Previous experience is also required in the design, implementation and monitoring of disability inclusive programs and policies. An excellent ability to train, mentor and coach professional colleagues will be required, as well as experience working with diverse stakeholders at different levels of government and with communities, ideally in a cross-cultural context. Previous experience in the Pacific is highly desirable.
This position is classified Category C, Level 4 (short term adviser) under the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework For full details please view via http://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Documents/adviser-remuneration-framework-2016.pdf
For any enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job reference number 497301.
Applications close: 6:00pm (Fiji time) 27th August 2018.
This Facility is being administered by Coffey, a Tetra Tech company on behalf of the Australian Government.
Coffey is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.
Coffey has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK's Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people's lives. Coffey has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
Advertised: Fiji Standard Time
Applications close: Fiji Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now