Job no: 497420
Work type: Permanent
Categories: General management, Administration, Corporate services - Finance, HSSE, HR, IT, Marketing, International development
East Africa Regional Lead, Coffey International Development
Coffey International Development UK Limited (“Coffey”) is managing an increasing number of programmes in Kenya and across East Africa including:
- Jamii Thabiti – Kenya Improving Community Security (DFID)
- Sustainable Urban Economic Development (DFID)
- Africa Clean Energy (DFID)
- Business Advisory Fund (Danida)
- Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF)
- Multiple GSMA Funds (GSMA and DFID)
- Somaliland Government Communications and Media (FCO)
- Technical Support to the South Sudan Peace Agreement (FCO)
With a critical mass of programmes, further prospects in the pipeline and a significant number of donors operating in the region there is a strong business case to recruit a senior representative to maintain and grow Coffey’s interests in Kenya and East Africa.
The role will assume responsibility for the following four areas:
1. Corporate / Strategic (~25%)
- Coffey’s senior representative in Kenya and East Africa representing the company to clients, partners and staff.
- Work closely with Coffey’s UK Leadership Team and three practice areas in the UK to develop and implement an East Africa Strategy.
- Promote Coffey’s vision and values at the country level and lead, direct and mentor the country office and its staff in line with the organisational strategy.
- Keep abreast of socio-economic and political changes in the environment and undertake timely strategic review of Coffey’s East Africa Strategy ensuring continued relevance in a rapidly changing environment.
- Maintain close communication with Coffey UK on all relevant factors and changes in the environment.
2. Operational Support (~25%)
- Oversight of Coffey’s corporate risk and compliance obligations in-country
- Support project teams with project risk and compliance obligations.
- Day to day oversight of shared in-country corporate resources (finance, HR, platform, etc.) to ensure effective usage between the various projects.
- Build capability and seek opportunities for the Kenya Finance and Operations Team as a regional cross-practice resource.
- Line manage several staff members
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with other Tetra Tech business units, and provide opportunities for sharing of expertise and services.
3. Business Development (~40%)
- Work in close conjunction with Coffey practices and the Business Development team on East Africa pursuits.
- Build and consolidate client, partner, consultant and supplier relationships and networks for Coffey in the region.
- Attend relevant client and partner meetings, EMEs and key supplier meetings.
- Support cross-practice bidding, client/partner engagement and pursuits.
- Look out for opportunities aligned with the East Africa Strategy and Coffey’s BD priorities.
e.g. New clients and geographies
4. Supporting project delivery (~10%)
- Provide advice and support to Team Leaders, Programme Directors and Programme Managers on programme issues, as and when required, drawing on local understanding and insight.
- Provide quality assurance of key project deliverables, as requested.
- Undertake Programme Director roles on new emerging projects, as requested.
What are we looking for? / Key Competencies:
- Minimum of 8 years of development experience in a development / consulting organisation, preferably with some years of experience in a donor agency and demonstrated experience of working with government organisations.
- A deep understanding of the economic, social and political context of Kenya, knowledge of other parts of East Africa would be an advantage.
- Ability to engage with public and private sector clients
- Strong technical writing skills and proven ability to define strategies, conceptualize and write concept notes, proposals and thought pieces
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent attention to detail
- Sound business and programme development skills
- Commercial awareness / financial management experience
- Excellent client relationship management skills
- A team player, able to demonstrate a commitment to providing high quality development assistance
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision (a self-starter and innovator)
- Willingness to travel and work in the region
- Degree from an internationally accredited university
Reporting to: Managing Director
Home office: Nairobi, Kenya
Travel (%): Up to 25%
Level: Equivalent to Senior Manager / Principal
About Coffey International Development UK Limited
Coffey International Development UK Limited, part of the Tetra Tech group, is a key supplier of services to the UK Government (Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Department for International Development). Our teams specialise in the fields of:
1. Economic growth: Our team combines broad implementation experience with advanced academic knowledge to help partner countries to mobilise their own resources, unlock opportunities to grow their economies and strengthen their workforces.
2. Governance, security and justice: We improve governance, security and justice services and structures in developing states, particularly in areas where conflict and fragility hinders independent institutional progress.
In addition, Coffey’s in-house evaluation and research team measures the effectiveness, impact and value for money of development aid throughout the world and equips organisations and our projects with tailored monitoring and evaluation systems.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter, clearly outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role, to: firstname.lastname@example.org . The closing date for applications is 31st October 2018.
Coffey is an equal opportunities employer.
Advertised: 28 September 2018 GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: 31st October 2018 (11:55 PM) GMT Daylight Time
Advertised: E. Africa Standard Time
Applications close: E. Africa Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now