Job no: 497428
Work type: Contract
Location: United Kingdom
Categories: International development
Coffey is implementing the North Africa Technical Assistance Facility (‘The TAF’), for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). The TAF is a dynamic, demand-driven framework specific to North Africa delivered in partnership with the UK government, host government counterparts and Coffey. The TAF is designed to deliver technical assistance to Governments, non-governmental organisations (NGO) and multilateral partners in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Morocco and Algeria and regionally.
The Economic Portfolio Manager will work closely with the TAF director of economic projects to engage British Embassies and governments in North Africa to develop project proposals, manage implementation, monitor and report on the results. Technical areas may include, and are not limited to, inward investment, exports, banking and finance reform, SME development and women’s economic empowerment. The role combines technical and project management responsibilities. The Economic Portfolio Manager will also work closely with colleagues in London and local Country Leads. Travel is required. The person will be expected to manage and nurture relationships with embassy and government officials.
The Economic Portfolio Manager will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Engage with Embassies; relevant Government stakeholders/decision-makers; and non-government partners such as multilateral agencies and civil society organisations. This engagement will serve to build relationships of trust and mutual expectation, understand stakeholder’s needs, and work with the stakeholder to develop a solution to those needs.
- Document, maintain and service a network of contacts (Civil Society Organisations, implementation partners, experts) in the fields of economic growth that can be drawn on to deliver TA.
- Identify opportunities and represent the TAF team at events.
Project design, Management and Delivery
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders to ensure TA activity delivery and, in some cases, participate in the delivery of TA activities.
- Lead on the development of concept notes, ensuring relevant information is shared with Post
- Write proposals and terms of reference and develop budgets.
- Manage delivery of a portfolio of economic projects, ensuring projects are properly resourced, progress is reported and risks are being managed
- In some cases, provide technical support in the delivery of TA activities.
- Identify consultants and sub-contractor partners for in-country activity, develop their terms of references and manage their performance.
- Keep a regularly updated pipeline of prospective TAF assignments for the economic growth portfolio based on conversations with Embassies and communicate it regularly to the TAF director of economic projects.
- Use conversations with stakeholders to identify follow on and additional work that the TAF can undertake and communicate such opportunities to the TAF director of economic projects and Embassies as deemed appropriate.
- Ensure project monitoring data is collected, reported and fed into the TAF programme results framework.
- Perform the first quality assurance checks on milestone deliverables (reports) and ensure milestones sent to Coffey are proofread and formatted appropriately.
- Ensure that all points listed in the terms of reference are addressed in the deliverable, that the level of analysis is sufficient, and if not flag to the TAF director of economic projects where further work is needed and ensure that the deliverable meets Embassies’ expectations.
Reporting, Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Liaise directly with Embassies’ on existing and potential activities and provide updates, under the TAF director of economic projects’s supervision. Communicate with consultants and implementation partners when required.
- Write country activities case studies to include in Coffey’s newsletter.
- Record and communicate to Coffey any country-specific or activity-specific lessons learned which would benefit future work on the TAF.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Master’s degree in economics, development studies, business studies, economic geography or equivalent;
- Minimum five years relevant experience that includes:
- Project management experience (including client, team, budgeting, operations);
- Proposal writing experience (including high quality drafting and budgeting);
- Understanding of the overseas development sector (desirable to have UK Aid sector experience); and
- A good standard of French and or Arabic is desirable but not essential.
- Location: London or Tunis
- Length of mission: 1-year fixed contract with possible extension
- Start Date (subject to change): Immediately
- Contract type: Employment contract – full-time
How to Apply
Apply online. For any enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job reference number.
Applications close: 31st October at 11:55pm (UK Time).
Coffey has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK's Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people's lives. Coffey has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
Advertised: GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now