Job no: 497625
Work type: Permanent
Location: United Kingdom
Categories: International development
Evaluation and Resource Manager – Evaluation and Research Practice, United Kingdom
Who we are
Are you a Resource Manager (RM) with experience in professional services and deploying consultants and specialists across a wide range of complex projects and programmes? Do you have experience in managing complex research and evaluation studies? Coffey wants you!
The Evaluation and Research (E&R) Practice at Coffey International Development Ltd is a highly successful specialist consultancy, employing a multi-national team of research, monitoring and evaluation specialists, based in central London and in Warsaw. We have built up a strong reputation in the research and evaluation of public sector activities. We are part of a specialist global professional services consultancy, Tetra Tech, operating in 80 countries and employing 16,000 professionals world-wide.
We have a strong track record of delivering high quality evaluations, impact assessments, research, analysis and strategic insights to help our clients develop on policies and programmes. We partner with DFID (Department for International Development) centrally and with country offices around the world, other UK Government departments (including the FCO and Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy), the European Commission and others.
The E&R practice has rapidly grown and in the number and scale of its project portfolio in recent years. The practice is comprised of two teams –
- International Development (IDEV) Team: this team typically delivers large-scale projects, mostly for DFID, in Africa and in Fragile and Conflict Affected States (FCAS). The IDEV team has a dedicated Practice Management Unit (PMU) that drives financial control, work planning and project resourcing.
- European Union (EU) Team: this team typically delivers small to medium size projects that are awarded by several Directorates General across the European Commission.
We are looking to recruit a Resource Manager (RM) who will be responsible for managing the deployment of resources across a portfolio of ‘live’ projects and bids. Our staff work on a wide range of international projects and spend billable time through a combination of home-based work in London and field work at international project sites across Europe and the rest of the world. Concurrently while working on their assigned projects, they also work on proposals as and when relevant public sector and government tenders are published.
The Resource Manager will ensure that all resources in the practice are optimally utilised and there is neither under-utilisation nor over-utilisation of resources across projects and bids. The RM will continuously liaise with PMs to ascertain resource requirements for our projects and lead the recruitment of suitable external consultants working closely with the PMU and our recruiters. The RM will maintain continuous oversight project the team structures and aim to achieve the optimum balance between in-house staff and trusted external consultants and associates.
- Develop and lead the Resource Management Strategy (RMS) for the use of both internal and external resources. This will include the development of a Resource Development Plan (RDP) in collaboration with Heads of Teams to identify (and secure) resource needs.
- Work closely with the Head of the EU Team, Head of the IDEV Team and Project Directors /Managers to:
- Assign, plan and reserve resources for planned projects, business development and project pursuits and identify the skill sets available;
- Manage resource assignments for all projects throughout their lifetime by monitoring periods of high and low demand to ensure that resources reallocated appropriately;
- Authorise and adjust project resourcing plans to make approved changes; and
- Manage day-to-day resource balancing of projects.
- Prepare Monthly Capacity Management Reports – responsible for reviewing and reporting forecast resource demand vs planned resources to assist in identifying overages /shortfalls and enable balancing across the portfolio.
- Manage evaluation and research projects ensuring compliance with project management guidelines, all Company policies and procedures and statutory and legal requirements including finance and contract management, document control and quality assurance
- Manage projects in a timely fashion through preparation and adherence to structured work plans ensuring that teams are mobilised and operate effectively.
- Support the practice leadership team to identify resources to meet needs such as new clients, services or territories.
- Manage the tendering and proposal development process including the development of work plans, resource plans and commercial proposals.
- Prepare management products, in accordance with quality assurance guidelines, and agree them with the Project Director, including:
- Project work plans
- Project Initiation Documents
- Risk management strategies
- Quality management strategies
- Communications management strategies
- Routine progress reports (highlight reports)
- Ensure projects are delivered in accordance with the project budget
This role reports to Head of the PMU and the Practice Leader.
What we are looking for
We are looking for the right professional with a specific set of skills and experience. The successful candidate will demonstrate the following key skills and experience:
- At least three years of experience in resource management for professional services firms (PMO).
- Experience and expertise in Project Portfolio Management (PPM).
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Project and/or other portfolio management software.
- Ability to make data driven decisions at project and portfolio levels.
- Strong team player able to work under limited supervision and take initiative.
- Demonstrated experience in business development and project implementation, including preparation of project proposals, negotiation of contract terms, quality assurance of project deliverables
- Clear, confident and articulate communicator
- Demonstrates high level of initiative; problem solving and organisational agility; / Ability to ‘think on your feet’
- Ability to multi-task
- Knowledge and experience of international development programmes is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of evaluation and research methods
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognised tertiary institution in a relevant subject (e.g. Business Management) required.
- Project management qualification such as PRINCE2 or PMP
What we can offer you
- The successful candidate will be offered a role as an Evaluation and Research Resource Manager in Coffey, and expected to help ensure the continuing success of the practice in years to come.
- The role provides the opportunity to further develop your portfolio and project management and leadership skills within a team of like-minded professionals.
- The position being offered is a full-time permanent post based in Coffey’s offices in central London. The role will involve international travel occasionally.
- Coffey offers a competitive salary, bonus scheme and a pension contribution. In addition, Coffey provides private health insurance, life assurance and 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, and a range of other benefits.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter, clearly outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role. The closing date for applications is 22nd February 2019.
Coffey is an equal opportunities employer.
Candidates must have the Right-to-Work within the United Kingdom.
Salary range: £35,000 - £39,000
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now