Coffey has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and USAID. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives. Coffey UK has won over £100m of long term contracts with DFID in the last year and is experiencing significant growth.
Coffey now offers a fantastic opportunity to join our growing Economic Growth practice in the UK. We have recently commenced new long-term contracts with DFID, including the £50m Kenya Sustainable Urban Economic Development (SUED) program and the multi country £15.5m Africa Clean Energy (ACE) program. Added to our existing portfolio, and with other opportunities forthcoming, this is an exciting time to join us and be involved in our work to channel the power of the market to benefit the lives of the 1.5 billion people currently living in extreme poverty. We work across a range of issues including market systems development; policy reform and advocacy for better business environments; urban development, energy, and innovation, particularly around mobile technology for development.
Based in London, but with significant travel, you will be the Project Manager of Coffey’s contract for the £15.5m, DFID funded, Africa Clean Energy Technical Assistance Facility programme, which operates across 14 sub Saharan countries, with a project base in Kenya. ACE seeks to advocate for business environment reforms which will grow the market for stand-alone solar systems. ACE is just finishing its inception period and will be implemented over the next 3.5 years.
As well as working on ACE (approx. 80% of time), more widely, as a Manager in the Economic Growth practice you will work on donor funded projects around the developing world, across a range of economic growth areas, including market development and business environment reform. You will manage the various activities relating to the project cycle through business development, project management and technical delivery as well as client relationship management.
Specifically you will:
- Manage successful delivery of existing project contracts overseas; with responsibility for ensuring programme and milestone delivery; close oversight of the budget; technical and financial reporting in line with contract requirements.
- Both lead and support our bids to secure new project contracts – contributing to the development of technical ideas, formation of teams, development of budgets, writing of technical and commercial bid sections.
- Undertake technical advisory work on a short-term basis to support project implementation.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with clients, partners, and consultants, and assist in the development of other team members.
Overall it is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to thrive within a friendly and dynamic team, with real opportunities for growth. You will be based in the UK, but with opportunity for in-country travel.
- At least six years prior experience, preferably working for an international development consulting firm, and definitely in the development sphere
- Project management experience on donor funded projects in developing countries
- Technical knowledge of economic growth, market development, and business environment reform in developing countries
- Outstanding communication skills in English (both oral and written), and ability to work in a multinational, multicultural environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, management, and networking/influencing skills to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Degree level educated, preferably with a Masters in a relevant subject (e.g. international development, social sciences, international relations or equivalent)
- Willingness to travel to other permanent offices of the business and to project locations, including fragile and conflict affected states, as required.
No CV's will be accepted from Recruitment Agencies.
Applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK to apply for this position.