SUED is a £60 million, five-year programme (2018 - 2023) supported by the British Government through the Department for International Development (DFID). The programme aims to support up to 10 fast growing municipalities to develop sustainable urban economic plans and attract investment for critical infrastructure and value chain projects.
The main programme objectives are to:
- Strengthen capacity at municipality level to plan better for urbanisation.
- Support policy and legislative changes to enable greater private sector led growth.
- Raise investment for critical bankable, climate-resilient infrastructure and value chain projects.
- Develop and test capacity at municipality level to maintain key activities after the programme ends.
- Create climate-resilient jobs.
- Improve rural links with larger markets that were previously difficult to access.
- Poise municipalities for climate-resilient and sustainable growth.
The implementing consortium is led by Coffey International Development, with various other subcontractor partners providing other services. Atkins Ltd. has been awarded the urban economic planning component. Subcontractors for three thematic areas (capacity building, investment climate, and investment attraction) will be selected in the coming months.
Coffey is looking for a Value Chain and Investment Lead with excellent understanding of Kenya, including its donor community and investment landscape, to support the SUED programme. The individual will work on the following areas:
- Lead on the review of the 10 urban economic plans developed by the programme’s partner organisation Atkins. Ensure the ideas for value chain focus and infrastructure project investments are in line with SUED’s objectives and make commercial sense.
- Analyse, and monitor on an ongoing basis, the investment attractiveness of value-chain and infrastructure projects, identifying issues and risks.
- Input, from a technical point of view, to the procurement process of the investment attraction firm.
- Lead on the technical quality assurance of the investment attraction firm once they start their work.
- Build an exhaustive network of relationships (including corporate, entrepreneur, NGO, academic, investor, advisory) to identify future pipeline opportunities for SUED.
- Develop attractive opportunities by building relationships with local promoters; conducting evaluations and analyses; thorough due diligence; and structure and execute investments.
- Prepare, present, and maintain detailed and compelling investment documentation for SUED’s Programme Steering Committee.
Location, Level of Effort
This is a full-time position, based in Nairobi, Kenya, with some travel to various municipalities across Kenya.
- Advanced University Degree in a relevant field such as economics, business, finance or investment.
- Ideal candidates will demonstrate accomplishment through some of the following experiences:
- 5-7 years of identifying and developing value-chain projects, assessing commercial viability, identifying constraints and facilitating solutions.
- 5-7 years of principal investing experience, including financial and operational due diligence of private companies, and bringing investment projects to financial close. Understanding of early stage businesses and entrepreneurs is a plus.
- Good understanding of financial concepts and investing models.
- Very good network in Kenya to relevant stakeholders (e.g. investors, political counterparts).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure.
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback.
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation.
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve.
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting.
- There will be a strong preference for someone already based in Kenya, who has good local networks and understanding.
Applications close: 30th June 2019
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Coffey, a Tetra Tech Company
Coffey has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors and international organisations around the world including the UK’s Department for International Development, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, USAID, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the EU and the United Nations.
Our teams work side by side with local partners to support stability and security, good governance and economic growth, positively changing people’s lives. We specialise in successfully delivering complex adaptive programmes in fragile and conflict affected states including in Kenya, Nigeria, South Sudan, Somaliland, Pakistan, Afghanistan and North Africa. Coffey is also a trusted monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) provider to DFID.
As part of the wider Tetra Tech group, we can deliver large-scale programmes cost-effectively and have access to an even larger international network of knowledge and experience, with 5,000+ employees working in the international development sphere, on more than 250 projects in over 100 countries. In total Tetra Tech has over 17,000 employees.