Job no: 497977
Work type: Contract
Location: Papua New Guinea
Off-Grid Energy Expert - PNG Electrification Partnership (PEP)
- Anticipated USAID energy program in Papua New Guinea (PNG)
- Senior-level, Field assignment
- Five-year fixed term appointment
Position summary & job purpose:
Tetra Tech is seeking applications from qualified individuals for an Off-Grid Energy Expert for an anticipated USAID energy program in Papua New Guinea (PNG). This energy project program will contribute to significantly achieving the goal of electrifying connecting 70% of PNG’s population to electricity by 2030. The PNG Electrification Partnership (PEP) will do this through strengthening of the regulator, improving financial and operational performance of the utility, key energy sector institutions, introducing new off-grid electrification models, and increasing private investment in the energy sector. The COP will serve as the overall project manager and team leader for the project. The COP will also act as the key liaison between the counterparts in the PNG government of PNG. This is role is a five-year fixed term appointment. for the duration of the five-year project.
- Lead implementation of technical tasks related to design and implementation of off-grid energy systems - conventional energy supply, renewable energy systems, hybrid systems, storage, transmission, distribution, service, ownership models, governance structures, etc.;
- Write technical deliverables, project reports, presentations, and other documentation of analyses;
- Work on pre-feasibility and feasibility analyses of off-grid energy projects applying appropriate energy models;
- Identify technical hurdles preventing deployment of renewable energy systems and recommend solutions;
- Review and recommend reform of government policies, laws, and regulations that may be inhibiting commercial deployment of off-grid energy systems;
- Review subcontractor and client invoices, provide milestones and deadlines for contractors, communicate task or project status with clients, ensure deliverables’ compliance with contracts;
- Track and manage work conduct and performance of consultants;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) required:
- Master’s degree in a relevant technical field and 10 years’ relevant experience including field experience;
- Experience with renewable energy systems of all sizes (pico-solar systems, solar home systems, micro-grids, battery storage systems, hybrid systems, and energy storage technologies);
- Experience with: pay-as-you-go models, distribution and retail networks/business models, mobile finance strategies, execution/design of willingness-to-pay survey strategies, market mapping diagnostics, equity fund design;
- Demonstrated skill in community engagement, consultative processes, field-based constraints sector analysis;
- Demonstrated experience with productive use analysis/project design such as solar irrigation, cold storage, light manufacturing, etc.
- Demonstrated policy experience and skills including preferably tendering processes, standards-setting, and strategy formation;
- Strong/demonstrated project management, reporting, writing and numerical skills;
- While not a requirement, experience managing USAID projects is a strong plus, as is PMP certification.
03. Off-Grid Energy Advisor - JD.docx
Applications close 5pm (PNG time) on 7th September 2019.
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. With more than 20,000 associates working together, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting and engineering services. The Company supports government and commercial clients by providing innovative solutions focused on water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. With more than 17,000 associates worldwide, Tetra Tech's capabilities span the entire project life cycle.
Advertised: West Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: West Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now