Manager – Evaluation and Research Practice, London, United Kingdom
(Maternity cover – May 2020 – January 2021)
About Tetra Tech
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of wider consulting and engineering services. It supports government and commercial clients with innovative solutions focused on international development, infrastructure, urban development, energy, transport, water, and resource management. With 20,000 associates worldwide, Tetra Tech's capabilities span the entire project cycle.
About Tetra Tech International Development
In 2020, we are consolidating our identity in Europe bringing together the expertise and experience of two Tetra Tech companies: Coffey International Development and WYG International to form Tetra Tech International Development. Together we have offices in London, Poland. Amsterdam, Turkey and Croatia, and a long-standing history of successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors and international organisations around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the EU, EIB and the United Nations.
Our people work side by side with local partners and communities to support stability and security, good governance and economic growth, positively changing people’s lives. We specialise in successfully delivering complex adaptive programmes in fragile and conflict affected states and are one of the UK government’s leading governance and security and justice providers. Tetra Tech International Development is also a trusted monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) provider to DFID.
We are a company which is going from strength to strength. Our success is down to the talent we attract, the values we share, the issues we care for and our collective commitment to work together as a team to deliver development outcomes that reduce poverty and inequality.
Who we are
The Evaluation and Research (E&R) team at Tetra Tech International Development is a highly successful specialist consultancy, employing a multi-national team, based in central London and Warsaw. We are part of a specialist global professional services consultancy, Tetra Tech, operating in 80 countries and employing 16,000 professionals world-wide.
Our international development (IDEV) team has built up a strong reputation in the research and evaluation of donor-funded activities. Our team designs, manages and delivers complex, large-scale research projects across the world, working with donors, governments, non-governmental organisations, universities, foundations and private businesses. We carry out high-quality independent evaluations and impact assessments and build robust monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems, both for clients and for Tetra Tech’s own programmes, ensuring that rigorous M&E is embedded in all our work.
Our work covers economic growth, private sector development, governance, security and justice, and human and social development. We work in a range of developed and developing countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Europe, including many conflict-affected states.
Based in London with opportunity for travel, you will manage a portfolio of monitoring and evaluation programmes on behalf of DFID, FCO and other donors. While your exact assignments will be confirmed upon joining, potential programmes include:
- SPRING Monitoring and Evaluation - an accelerator working with growth-oriented businesses on innovations targeting adolescent girls in South East Asia and East Africa; and
The Newton Fund Evaluation - which develops science and innovation partnerships that promote the economic development and welfare across 17 collaborating countries.
Your key responsibilities of a Manager in the E&R practice will include:
- Managing projects/programmes ensuring compliance with project management guidelines, all Company policies and procedures and statutory and legal requirements including finance and contract management, document control and quality assurance.
- Managing projects in a timely fashion through structured work plans ensuring that teams are mobilised and operate effectively.
- Client relationship management to ensure that the way that we work fully meets client expectations and that deliverables are submitted on time, within budget and to the required quality.
- Stakeholder relationship management to ensure that project partners and individual contractors /external consultants are effectively managed to deliver high quality inputs and outputs that meet the client’s expectations.
- Managing the tendering and proposal development process including the development of work plans, resource plans and commercial proposals.
Complying with and promoting all statutory and company HSSE policies, standards and procedures.
- Degree-educated, preferably with a Masters’ degree in a relevant subject e.g. international development, social sciences, international relations or equivalent.
- At least four years’ prior experience of managing, or supporting the management of, international development projects preferably with an international development consultancy, with government or with an international NGO.
- Strong experience in planning and managing data collection fieldwork across projects and across sites efficiently, and delivering a flexible and adaptable approach to a changing environment and workload.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both oral and written) and comfortable working in a multinational, multicultural environment.
- A working knowledge of a range of software applications and strong computer skills including Microsoft Windows Word, Excel, Office, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience in project implementation and business development, including preparation of project proposals, negotiation of contract terms, quality assurance of project deliverables.
- Strong team player able to work under limited supervision and take initiative and experienced people manager.
- Ability to think logically and possess skills in problem identification and resolution.
- A qualification in project management
- Previous experience with DFID
Previous experience in monitoring, evaluation, research and learning
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter in one file, clearly outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role by 15th April 2020.
No CVs will be accepted from Recruitment Agencies.
Applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK to apply for this position.