Consultant – Evaluation and Research Practice, London, United Kingdom
About the company
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting and engineering services. It supports government and commercial clients with innovative solutions focused on international development, infrastructure, urban development, energy, transport, water, and resource management. With 20,000 associates worldwide in over 120 countries, Tetra Tech’s capabilities span the entire project cycle.
Tetra Tech International Development is Tetra Tech’s European business unit. We are based in London with offices in Kenya, Nigeria, Croatia, Turkey, Poland and the Netherlands. We deliver international development programmes and projects in governance and justice/security, economic growth and infrastructure for clients such as the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, the United Nations, the European Union, the European Investment Bank and other donors and funding agencies. We also have a strong in-house monitoring evaluation and learning practice.
About the role
The main purpose of the role is to provide technical support to a range of evaluation assignments and ensure the delivery of high-quality research deliverables. You will take responsibility for individually undertaking a variety of evaluation and research tasks, you will need to liaise and work with other team members and teams, who may be both internal and external to Tetra Tech to develop evaluation. You will assist with the design of research methodologies in the course of providing evaluation and research services and high-quality deliverables for our clients. You may also have line management responsibilities.
The main responsibilities of this role include:
- Take responsibility for leading on specific parts of complex evaluation assignments and delivering on smaller assignments.
- Effectively applying the technical knowledge of evaluation approaches and mixed methods that are most appreciated by clients, most importantly the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), and various European Commission Directorates-General. These include quantitative and qualitative research design and analytical techniques that can be used for a wide range of evaluation and ex ante impact assessment assignments
- Demonstrate technical excellence by producing client-ready deliverables in line with the client's needs as confirmed by senior managers and directors.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, suppliers and vendors.
- Assist in preparing bids for tenders and participating in wider business development activities both within the E&R Practice and across other parts of the business.
- Work effectively as a team player to gain the confidence of other members of the team.
- Be an ambassador for Tetra Tech in the market; and promote our interests and reputation
- Line manage more junior members of staff.
For this role we expect you to have:
- Undergraduate qualification in business, management, social sciences or in a technical/ professional field of relevance; and a postgraduate qualification is an advantage.
- Experience of research and/or evaluation of policy, programmes and / or services; or evaluation experience in the field of international development and / or (European) public policy is a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge and / or experience of applying different quantitative (for experimental and quasi-experimental designs) and/or qualitative research (interviewing stakeholders, coordinating workshops and facilitating focus groups) techniques
- Experience of working with / for governments, international organisations or other public sector organisations; and experience of providing consultancy services is a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrated excellent command of the English language – written and spoken.
- Knowledge of how to carry out analysis of quantitative or qualitative data.
- Demonstrate an ability to manage your own tasks and deliver quality work on time.
You will also demonstrate the following:
- Well-developed quality and results focused orientation
- Strong influencer and strategic thinker
- Can build and promote initiatives and involve people in the big picture
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to travel regionally and globally when required (Up to 20% of time). Safe conditions permitting.
Applicants must have the Right-to-Work within the United Kingdom to apply for this position.
How to apply
Please click on the 'apply now' button to start your application.
Applications close: 30 January 2021
No CVs will be accepted from recruitment agencies.
All candidates must have the existing right to work in the United Kingdom. Visa sponsorship will not be offered for this vacancy.
Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO), and the European Union (EU). Our people are focused on improving lives by working side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth, and good governance.
Tetra Tech International Development is part of Tetra Tech, a global family of experts providing international development services in over 13 key practice areas in over 100 countries around the world. Tetra Tech serves the major aid markets in the UK and Europe, as well as the U.S. Agency for International Development, the U.S. Department of State, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and multilateral development banks.
Tetra Tech International Development has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all of our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.